Manliness

Wednesday 1 June 2016



Apparently, manliness is not what it used to be. Let me dig up my old curmudgeon hat, yell at the kids on my lawn, and share a few thoughts.

In a recent article they were talking about how fewer and fewer of today's young men rate themselves very highly on the manliness scale. Of course, it's all in how you define what it is to be a man.

When I was growing up it was being able to stand tall, look someone in the eye and a good firm handshake. Your word was your bond. Women were treated with respect. Crying was reserved for rare occasions, like when a broken bone was poking out. A man knew his way around tools, firearms and fishing poles.

I was lucky enough to enter the Fire Service at the tender age of 18. There are few jobs today that make such good use of testosterone, strength and daring.

Of course, I wouldn't top out on the so called “manliness scale” they were using either. I'm not afraid to change a diaper or nurture children. There's nothing wrong with reading good poetry. You don't have to be all womanly to realize that a particular paint color brightens up the room. Being able to wash dishes, cook good meals, and do laundry are all useful skills for living.

Maybe some of young men's confusion about manliness is a lack of role models. I learned it from my dad. Too many young boys grow up without good male role models. Most of the dads on TV are bumbling fools.

Some poor deluded fools thing manliness is all about drinking too much and fighting. Sorry guys, having some self control is a better gage of manliness.

-Sixbears

No comments:

Post a Comment